[Tagging] Idea for a new tag: amenity=power_supply

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 12:16:43 UTC 2019

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 13:01, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le dim. 23 juin 2019 à 13:49, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 02:02, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Aircraft too can have an external electrical power connection.
>>>

>> Aircraft power is rather specialized.
>>

> Like any power supply.

Erm, yes and no.  Our existing tags don't specify frequency or voltage but
connectors and you
have to infer what is going to come out of those connectors.  Which is
either standard frequency
and voltage for a particular country or standardized outputs for a
particular car charging connector.
So we'd need to be able to specify what is available from a GPU.  Some only
provide 28 VDC,
some only 14 VDC, some only 115 VAC @ 400 Hz, many provide a combination of
those.

Being different from domestic power doesn't make a power supply more
> special than another one.
> Like any man made thing, it is adapted to use case (which can be described
> in a dedicated OSM tag)

Yes, you can tag it but  you cannot place its position.   It's not stuck in
the ground like a car
charging station or a camp site hook-up, it's mobile. At its simplest, a
GPU is not much more
than a couple of 12V lead acid batteries in a wheelbarrow.  See
https://www.powervamp.com/ground-power-units/ and look carefully at the
wheels (even the
one that looks like it's fixed has an option for a dolley).

Mapping a GPU would be like mapping a tractor on a farm.  It's not sensible
because it moves.

--
Paul