[Tagging] Hiking logbooks

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 08:54:03 UTC 2019

Hi,

On some hiking trail there are log books, usually at the start and end and possibly other places for walkers to record there intentions and observations.
They can be used when someone is overdue by authorities to establish there likely whereabouts.

At the moment I think the closest documented tag is checkpoint:type=notebook.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:checkpoint

Description; "A paper based medium to sign/note, such as a notebook or guest book"
Some 55 uses of this.

There are also some used of 'logbook' - undocumented

amenity=logbook 10 uses
logbook=yes 3 uses
piste:amenity=logbook 4 uses

So..
Should 'logbooks' be tagged under checkpoint:type=notebook or should they have yet another tag?
If they are to be included under checkpoint:type=notebook then I'll add some words to the wiki to say so.
If it is a case of 'yet another tag' .. what is your recommendation?