[Tagging] Mistagging footways as highway=pedestrian

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:41:40 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:20 AM Mateusz Konieczny
<matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
> Feb 28, 2019, 6:48 PM by fernando.trebien at gmail.com:
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 1:29 PM Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> čet, 28. velj 2019. u 14:15 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> napisao je:
>
> I agree, but we have a practical problem with people that think that this:
> https://images.mapillary.com/QQXg40ewDRF6hsi0jNGhzA/thumb-2048.jpg
>
> cannot be tagged the same as this:
> https://images.mapillary.com/53iC9URhRKV_gYsxbF4ZYw/thumb-2048.jpg
>
> People look at the first photo as a little street, not as a footway. It also probably has a name xx street.
> Both are really footways, but the resemblance ends there. I think adding footway=alley to the first one would make sense to people, and maybe then they will stop with wrong tagging.
>

> So, if width alone is used as criterion to distinguish between
> highway=footway and highway=pedestrian
>
> That is certainly not sole (or even the most important part).

So we agree.

> For reducto ad absurdum: what about way that changes width and is
> going below and above limit? Split it and alternate pedestrian and
> footway?

I was going to mention that. Borrowing from a recent discussion here,
is something I'd expect this situation to happen often in Venice,
leading to problems if pedestrian ways are downgraded to footway based
solely on width. While it is certain that all narrow paths there
should be downgraded from highway=pedestrian to highway=footway, it is
not so certain that the wider ones should always remain pedestrian.
Whether they should requires analyzing context and function case by
case.

--
Fernando Trebien