[Tagging] What is a conscription number (addr:conscriptionnumber)?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Mar 3 23:54:39 UTC 2019

Mar 3, 2019, 10:42 PM by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:

> Yes, nice & clear thanks Mateusz - when I'd seen the name listed previously, I'd always assumed it was something to do with allocating areas for conscription for military service!

It used to, first addressing in this areas started for military-related purposes (conscription).

> Just clarifying for my own interests sake - so the village / suburb only has a number, rather than a name? So your example would be village (suburb?) 280, > Staré Brno district?>

In this addressing system location has address made from two parts
- location (say Staré Brno distric)
- number within location

Unlike street number that has three parts
- location (town, settlement etc)
- street name
- number on the street

> & are they numbered sequentially, or randomly? EG as you travel north from this city do you pass through 280, 281, 282 & so on; or is 280 5k north, 281 10k SW, 282 5k E, 283 15k N, but with 135 & 512 between it & 280?

randomly, or more specifically order is not necessarily related to location - but be based on say
order of construction permits

I made edit during making this reply - see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:addr:conscriptionnumber&diff=1816857&oldid=1816164 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:addr:conscriptionnumber&diff=1816857&oldid=1816164>