[Tagging] "satellit"

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Mon Mar 4 10:41:11 UTC 2019

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/antenna%3Atype#values mentions
"parabolic_satellit" "parabolic_satellit_uplink" and
"parabolic_satellite_uplink". I have two remarks about that...

First, evidently, "satellit" is wrong and should be "satellite"... Or have
I missed something ? Unless someone explains that "satellit" is a distinct
legit concept, I'll replace it globally with "satellite".

Second, do we want to specify "_uplink" where appropriate ? Most parabola
large enough to tag in Openstreetmap are going to feature an uplink. But
most important, the physical features of downlink and uplink/downlink
antennas are identical - the same antenna might even have more than one
feeder to switch its purpose. So, should we have only
"parabolic_satellite" or both "parabolic_satellite" and
"parabolic_satellite_uplink" ? Or should we leave the antenna's purpose to
a subtag (something like
antenna:purpose=downlink;uplink;uplink/downlink;tracking;etc.) ? I admit I
like the subtag option because it shifts the problem to somewhere it won't
complicate the mapping of physical features...