[Tagging] leisure=common replacement for public areas with some trees

Marián Kyral mkyral at email.cz
Tue Mar 5 08:00:09 UTC 2019

Hi,

recently was dropped [1] the leisure=common rendering from openstreetmap-
carto as it is "misused" by mappers. A suggested replacements are: *leisure=
park, landuse=grass and/or landuse=farmland*. But there are many places
around, that are not official park and not grass as there are some trees as
well. Typically a small areas in the city between apartment buildings. These
areas are not official parks, gardens or grass. It is just a green
accessible for everoyne. So we can say it is a *public* or *common* green.

So question is, how to tag it? There is also tag landuse=village_green [2],
but I don't like the word "village" there and as well, there are plans to
remove it, because it has the same issue as leisure=common.

On landuse=village_green wiki, there is a nice sentence: *Such use of the
tag is incorrect, and a better tagging for these situations needs to be
defined.*

So is the right time to do it now? What tag/tags we should use for such
pieces of green that are too small or to be a park, are not a garden and are
public accessible.

What about e.g.: landuse=public_green? It could be also extended by tags
like trees=yes, scrub=yes or public_green=grass / public_green=flowers.

What do you think? Some better idea?

Thanks,

Marián

[1] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/commit/4df96c4e4927c