[Tagging] amenity=police

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Mar 5 11:44:54 UTC 2019

Mar 5, 2019, 12:17 PM by grimpeur78 at gmail.com:

> I would hence suggest to introduce a new tag "police" with keys like "station", "administration", "criminal police", "barracks", "range", "naval_base" (for river police or coast guard), etc. The type of police could then be tagged as "operator=*"
>
> "police=station" should be defined as comprising all police stations of the lowest level, where you can turn to in case of an emergency, no matter whether the operating entity is formally a civil or a military one. Other areas or buildings, like barracks, ranges, administrative units etc. could then be tagged as "police=*" or "military=*", according to the classification of the operating force.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I would tag office with internal police administration with some office=* tag, without amenity=police

We should not tag Tesco headquarters as shop, we should not tag government office
maintaining canals as waterway=canal and we should not tag government office
managing police as amenity=police

Similarly, police laboratory, range, barracks, academy, warehouse should also should not be
tagged amenity=police.

But police tag makes sense, just do not require or request to always add also amenity=police.

I would keep amenity=police to public-facing police places.

To values of police tag - there is also municipal police (in Poland called "Straż Miejska"
that is usually mostly handling illegally parked vehicles and minor disturbances like
drunk people).

So also police=municipal?

BTW, I would not mix police type (municipal, state, military, etc) with object type (naval_base,
administration, barracks, range) in one key.