[Tagging] amenity=police

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Mar 5 12:14:16 UTC 2019

Mar 5, 2019, 12:59 PM by grimpeur78 at gmail.com:

> I imagined that all public-facing police stations be tagged as:
>
> police=station
> operator=(Bundespolizei/Stra┼╝ Miejska etc.)
> opening_hours=*
>
> Police barracks would then be
>
> police=barracks
> operator=*
> And an administrative building could be
>
> police=administration
> operator=*
> opening_hours=*
>

> As amenity=police is currently being used indiscriminately for almost all police-related facilities, we would have to review all police buildings manually anyways to differentiate police stations and other units. In the long run, I would therefore get rid of amenity=police altogether (and thus decongestionate the "amenity"-tag a bit).

That works quite well! Some comments:

For administrative building I would really use office tag.

I see no value in dropping amenity=police, even in far future.
I see no harm whatsoever in supposed "congestion" and breaking all data consumers
using amenity=police would not be nice.

I am not sure about using operator for police type, in some cases it may cause conflicts with
normal use of operator tag.

Maybe police:type?