[Tagging] RFC rewritten proposal Via_ferrata_simplified

Adam Franco adamfranco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:08:30 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 8:04 PM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> Slightly off topic: vie ferrate are not a familiar thing in the
> mountains near me.
> Does
> http://aspiringfortysixer.com/Upper_Lower_Wolfjaw,_Armstrong_%26_Gothics_files/P1010309.jpg
> count?

I wonder this as well. I don't have any direct experience with Via
Ferratas, but reading these two pages makes me think that the term seems to
be used for more involved routes than a short set of stairs or hand-holds:

   - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_ferrata
   - https://chamonixallyear.com/what-need-via-ferrata-in-chamonix/

I'm interested if those with more familiarity think a short segment of iron
steps/hand-holds (and not the extra protection cable) or only a short
length of optional protection rope/cable would qualify for
highway=via_ferrata.