[Tagging] Possibility to draw parking properties as an area

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Wed Mar 6 19:28:27 UTC 2019

On 3/6/2019 1:12 PM, yo paseopor wrote:

> Sorry...but parking space is not a lane, lanes are for driving. You
> cannot drive by a "parking lane". Lane has differents meanings. You
> can see the difference in Spanish: Carril para circular, Zona de
> aparcamiento. It does not exist Carril de aparcamiento.
> Also adding parkign properties to the kerbs...does not help anything
> (it would be the same problem we have now. I need these items
> separated from the way, from the kerb, with its own id, to draw
> exactly what space is occuping.

You can't drive in a parking lane, but you can park in a parking lane.
It's a common term in English, and since OSM tagging is English-based it
doesn't make much sense to argue based on Spanish usage.

... I don't really see what our "problem" is that isn't solvable with
street (or theoretically kerb) tagging. If the problem is that it
doesn't show up visually on the default map, then I'd say that's a case
of "tagging for the renderer".

On the other hand, if drawing amenity=parking areas alongside the street
is what you want to do, certainly I've seen situations (such as the ones
Paul linked to) where that seems to work well.

Jason