[Tagging] Possibility to draw parking properties as an area

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Mar 7 02:16:40 UTC 2019

On 3/6/2019 8:39 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 05:29, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com
> <mailto:jmapb at gmx.com>> wrote:
>

>     On the other hand, if drawing amenity=parking areas alongside the
>     street
>     is what you want to do, certainly I've seen situations (such as
>     the ones
>     Paul linked to) where that seems to work well.
>

> I'd also agree that amenity=parking on the road works.
>
> The question I have is whether the parking area should be mapped out
> to the middle of the road, as the examples shown, or should it be an
> area at the side of, or off, the road? eg
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/546470035

Yo passepor wants to "draw exactly what space is occuping" so in that
case putting the area to the side of the road probably makes more sense,
even though it would prevent a routing engine from actually being able
to arrive inside the parking amenity.

Personally I wouldn't be inclined to directly connect a side of the
parking area to the highway way unless they really were completely
indistinguishable.