[Tagging] Possibility to draw parking properties as an area

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 15:51:21 UTC 2019

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 14:44, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> usually areas end at their actual borders in OSM, so unless you can park
> in the middle of the road, it should not be contained in the parking area.

If we usually mapped roads as areas, I'd agree with you 100%.  The edge of
the area that is the
parking space should be contiguous with the edge of the area that is the
road.  All would be
clear and unambiguous in the editor.  All would be clear and unambiguous in
the rendering.
All would be routeable in a sensible way: you could park in the middle of
the parking area
by turning off the road at that point.

But we don't normally map roads as areas.  Which is why, when a footpath
perpendicularly
joins a road, we extend the footpath all the way to the road itself.  I
found it hard to reconcile
myself to doing that at first, because the footpath doesn't extend to the
middle of the road,
it extends to the sidewalk.  In the editor, it looks wrong.  But it's
routable.  And in the rendered
map it all works out because a mathematically, infinitely-thin line in the
editor becomes a wide
road in the rendered map.  It all looks and works well, except in the
editor.  But that's the price
we have to pay because we usually map roads as lines.  We get used to what
we do in the
editor to work around the ease of mapping roads as lines rather than areas.

Your way, we'd have a gap between the parking area and the road when it
renders.  Which
there isn't because in reality they're conjoined and contiguous.  Your way,
the parking area
wouldn't be routeable.  Your way, people would spend a lot of time mapping
for the renderer by
tweaking the parking area until it just touched the road (which renders as
a line of non-zero
width).  Only to have to change it if the road classification changes and
so the width of the
line representing the road changes.

You're being a purist for the editor and the data structure, you don't care
how it renders or routes.
Some of us are pragmatists.

--
Paul