[Tagging] tags for tutor or coaching out of school

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Sun Mar 10 22:33:46 UTC 2019

On 3/10/2019 6:16 PM, Warin wrote:

> To me an office is more of an administration type thing. I don't think
> it should be used for an educational function.
> An office=educational_institution would be for record keeping,
> admissions, teacher preparation offices - that kind of thing.
>
> shop=* to me they sell physical things .. mostly. I don't think of
> them as educational.
>
> amenity=prep_school .. umm amenity ... not something I like to use.
> And prep_school tends to indicate preparation before going to school
> rather than extra work on top of school.
>
> Looking at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Education_features
>
> I think it would be good to have a tag eduction=tutoring.
> That could then have sub tags for max:age/min:age etc.
>
> That then leads into thinking on using an education key for
> schools/colleges/kindergartens etc... which might be a good thing?

I agree re shop. And I'd definitely avoid "prep school" since it has an
entirely different meaning in American English (it's a posh high school.)

I've been tagging these as office=tutoring since it seemed to be the
relevant tag with the most support (with amenity=tutoring in second
place.) But I agree that office isn't ideal -- generally these places
don't look/feel like offices, more like classrooms.

If there's a big reorg into education=* (similar to healthcare=*.. there
have been a couple proposals for this I think) then that would
definitely be a contender. As of now, no one would find them.

Jason