[Tagging] discouraging shop=fashion

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Mar 11 13:02:30 UTC 2019

Mar 10, 2019, 10:28 PM by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 18:36, Jean-Marc Liotier <> jm at liotier.org <mailto:jm at liotier.org>> > wrote:
>
>> On 3/10/19 9:11 AM, Mateusz Konieczny      wrote:
>>
>>> Mar 9, 2019, 11:16 PM by >>> selfishseahorse at gmail.com <mailto:selfishseahorse at gmail.com>>>> :

>>> Based on discussion(s) it        seems that there is no benefit from
>>> keeping this tag.
>>>
>>> I would support editors        proposing to replace it by shop=clothes + clothes=*
>>>

>> I was about to post to say that - so I support this proposal.
>>

> I agree, so what is the procedure for deprecating a tag?

I expanded a bit
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>

Tags are typically discussed within wider community, for example at tagging mailing list in way that allows everybody to contribute. In cases of consensus that tagging in a different way is preferable tag can be considered as deprecated. There are various ways that together result in reduced tag usage and each requires consensus or agreement from relevant people

* Tag can be described as unwanted together with reasons for that on OSM Wiki
* Validator complaints may be added to JOSM, iD, Osmose and other validators or other Quality assurance tools
**Typically it requires opening issue on bug tracker of a given project
* Support may be dropped from presets and rendering of editors
** Typically it requires opening issue on bug tracker of a given project
* People may check tag usage in their area and edit objects to improve tagging
* In rare cases automatic edits can be done to improve tagging. Such edits must follow Automated Edits code of conduct