[Tagging] Use of old_name (was Re: Mapping deforestation)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:35:02 UTC 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 12:17, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if some friends say we'll meet next year again in front of the Whizzo.
> In the meantime, the Whizzo closes and is replaced with a restaurant
> Eatwell.
> If they can then search for the old name it's useful, because they
> might not be overly familiar with the area and don't know the place
> has changed.

Logic error detected!

If I decide to meet with a friend AGAIN in front of Whizzo, we both already
know where it is.

If I decide to meet with a friend next year at somewhere we have never
been, the Whizzo
restaurant and it's now a motorcycle shop, maybe it's better we know that
Whizzo no longer
exists than we both decide it must still be a restaurant because old_name.

I take your point, though, there are edge cases either way.  But I also
recall you saying that you
primarily used old_name for the benefit of other mappers, to prevent them
making changes
based on outdated information.

BTW, this is of course if you use Nominatim. OsmAnd, Magic Earth etc,
> do not search on old_name AFAIK.

So old_name isn't useful to people using those tools, anyway.  Which means
there's no
reason to use old_name instead of note.

I'm not persuaded it's useful to use old_name the way you do.  Particularly
when old_name
merely indicates a change of name but note=* can be used to also say why
the name changed
(such as change of use).

--
Paul