[Tagging] New Tag "Departures" voting results.

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 01:17:21 UTC 2019

On 2/3/19 10:02 am, Leif Rasmussen wrote:
> > It seems like the best way forward now is for a proposal allowing
> OpenStreetMap data to be tightly integrated with outside sources (such
> as GTFS) to be created by someone.  This would avoid the issues of
> maintainability in OpenStreetMap.

I'm not interested in producing route maps or attempting to route over
public transport without the aid of external data, so my requirements
may not meet all of yours.

What I'd like to be able to do in OSM is:

1. Tag the most appropriate OSM object with the stop_id from a GTFS feed.
2. Have some way of tagging which GTFS feed this is from.
3. Handle the case where a stop appears in more than one GTFS feed.

So I see something along the lines of:

<OSM key for stop_id>=<stop_id>
<OSM key for GTFS feed>=<Some agreed value that identifies the GTFS feed>

I noticed that someone else mentioned that the same stop can appear in a
GTFS feed with different stop_ids. This would look like this:

<OSM key for stop_id>=<stop_id_1>;<stop_id_2>
<OSM key for GTFS feed>=<Some agreed value that identifies the GTFS feed>

If a stop appears in more than one feed then some how we have to map the
stop_id to the feed. One possible way would be:

<OSM key for stop_id>:<feed_id_1>=<stop_id_1>
<OSM key for stop_id>:<feed_id_2>=<stop_id_2>
.
.
<OSM key for GTFS feed>:<feed_id_1>=<Some agreed value that identifies
the GTFS feed that stop_id_1 comes from>
<OSM key for GTFS feed>:<feed_id_2>=<Some agreed value that identifies
the GTFS feed that stop_id_2 comes from>
.
.

As you can see there are quite a few design question left to be
answered. For example, the feed_id is only needed if a stop appears in
more than one feed. However, you may want to include the feed_id every
time to make it easier to search for stops. Also do we want to repeat
the same information at every stop or should we store it in a single
relation?