[Tagging] mapping large memorial objects that roads pass through.

Tony Shield tony.shield999 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 09:54:19 UTC 2019

Been wondering for months how to tag arches in general - not a mention
in Wiki.

I do like man-made = arch.

I do think that there are several major types of arch which help, so
this discussion started with torii and a possible answer is given as

Perhaps they could be man_made=archway and archway=torii?

The archway tag could have values such as torii, triumphal-arch (Arc de
Triomphe in Paris, Marble Arch in London), roman-gate. Suitable values
for others will be needed.

It seems to me that many arches have a deep cultural significance, often
they were constructed to be significant in that respect, so I would
expect memorial or possibly religious tags to be associated with an arch.

How to proceed? If there is agreement does it need voting on? Or can the
wiki be expanded to show this as a tag?

Regards

TonyS