[Tagging] Hotel dataset import? / Re: Baby-sitting

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:45:29 UTC 2019

Am Mi., 13. März 2019 um 12:54 Uhr schrieb Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it>:

> On 2019-03-13 12:15, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
> I think you misunderstand. OSM is based on locally sourced, handcrafted
> data. That creates the high quality.
>
> That's totally inaccurate.
>
> The reality is that OSM is based on imported data, augmented by locally
> sourced information (*of **sometimes questionable quality*).

There are examples for this like the US, Friuli Venezia Giulia (buildings),
maybe France (landcover + cadastre) and the Netherlands, but this is still
not globally the case, and I would hope it will not get to this point. You
are relatively new here Sergio and may not know the history of OSM, also in
Italy where you map, most data was mapped by mappers. Notable Italian
exceptions may be Friuli Venezia Giulia, administrative boundaries by
ISTAT, fuel station import last year, some locally confined imports in some
municipalities.

Cheers,
Martin