[Tagging] Hotel dataset import? / Re: Baby-sitting

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Mar 13 14:27:13 UTC 2019

Mar 13, 2019, 12:53 PM by smz at smz.it:

> On 2019-03-13 12:15, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
>> I      think you misunderstand. OSM is based on locally sourced,      handcrafted data. That creates the high quality.
>>

> That's totally inaccurate.
>

> The reality is that OSM is based on imported data, augmented by      locally sourced information (> of > sometimes > questionable        quality> ).
>

> Sergio

[citation needed]

It may be true in some rare regions, in many cases real mapping requires deletion of substandard
imports dumped into OSM (see TIGER mess in USA, low quality landcover in Slovakia making
mapping a horrible experience).

Describing OSM as "imported data, augmented by" is as far as I known complete misrepresenting the
situation.