[Tagging] Status of oneway=cw oneway=ccw

s8evq s8evq at runbox.com
Wed Mar 13 15:37:19 UTC 2019

> If you want to indicate the preferred direction of a walking route that is
> basically loop-shaped, a concept that is different from the legally binding
> oneway, then some kind of clockwise / anticlockwise tagging should be used.

Yes Volcker, this is what I'm after. It's about loop-shaped walking/hiking/cycling routes, that should only by done in one direction, because of way-marking and signposts.  (Most of the bicycle routes in this overpass query fall in that category https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/GWB, quite a lot!)
I'm not talking about individual ways that are oneway restricted for pedestrians.

How to properly indicate the preferred direction of this kind of relation?

method (1) With proper forward / backward roles on the members of the relation? (as stated in the route=bicycle wiki page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dbicycle and mentioned by Volcker Schmidt and Kevin Kenny)

method (2) By using the tag oneway=yes, (as stated on the route=hiking and route=foot wiki page  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dhiking https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dfoot but it causing a lot of confusion here)

I have not seen anybody on this mailing list defend the usage of method (2). Can I ask the question: why it is in the wiki?