[Tagging] Hotel dataset import? / Re: Baby-sitting

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 22:02:33 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 13. Mar 2019, at 21:30, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it> wrote:
>
> As far as regards Giovanni's import, my position is that I'm pretty sure that the work he has done is of high quality,

the thing is, Giovanni can do the best work in the world, the resulting data will still completely depend on the external dataset.

> probably much better than many "locally sourced" information (you probably have an idea of the quantity of "locally sourced" crap I see here in Venice, mainly self-defined hotels and  B&B which are... nothing

the situation in tourist hotspots is generally different from other areas (much more activity in general, and more SEO activity), the Venice map is not representative for most of OSM, it is representative for tourist areas.

> if I want an Hotel or a room I can go to Tripadvisor or to Airbnb (not endorsing those in any way, just an example...), see if it accepts my pet and my credit card and then use OSM to navigate to the address.

Remote areas apart, I would not use OSM to search for a place to stay either. Usually the main criteria are location, standard, availability and price, of which only location can be answered with OSM data.
Still I believe the location of hotels is an interesting geographic information. You can do more with the hotel information than searching for a hotel to stay.

Cheers, Martin