[Tagging] Mapping deforestation wikipage

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 23:43:22 UTC 2019

On 14/03/19 06:49, Lorenzo Stucchi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After some discussion about the idea of this project, we think to
> better capt all the idea to create a wiki page with the purpose of
> better understand the problem and find the better way to tag this
> situation.
>
> So we create a wiki page
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PoliMappers/mapping_deforestation where
> is possible to discuss these thematics, let us known your idea.

A good guide is to only map what you know, if you don't know - leave the
map blank. Colouring in the map may look pretty, but it may hide errors
that would be best left for others to find having been altered to the
area by the blank area.

landcover <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=barren
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landcover%3Dbarren&action=edit&redlink=1>.

NO! This fails to map what is there.

  Map the surrounding area with what you can see and leave a hole in it,
use a relation to do it of the type=multipolygon.

landcover <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=artificial
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landcover%3Dartificial&action=edit&redlink=1>

Don't think so. Too general. And the text links it to are 3 land uses,
these are not land covers.

landcover <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=cultivated
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:landcover%3Dcultivated&action=edit&redlink=1>.

This is not a land cover, it is a land use. And OSM presently prefers a
more detailed value.

landcover <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landcover>=trees
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landcover%3Dtrees>
This at least works .. it is a land cover and it does have trees.
Unfortunately it does not render on many maps, so you might also tag it
natural=wood.