[Tagging] Mapping deforestation wikipage

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Mar 14 20:36:29 UTC 2019

Mar 14, 2019, 9:28 PM by lorenzostucchi95 at outlook.it:

> From previous messages we think to change the different tag from landcover to hrg_landcover, the idea came form the professor Brovelli. Because we can think every type of landcover came from a satellite and the HRGLandCover (High Resolution Global Land Cover) is more related to the idea that we want to propose.

how "High Resolution Global Land Cover" differs from regular landcover?

As far as I see there is no good reason for introducing new tagging scheme -
it will be either used in one organized editing and later forgotten or, what would be worse,
we will have yet another competing scheme duplicating existing ones.

I would advise to tag just forest landcover is satellite images are unusable to tag
other features properly and to not introduce incompatible tagging scheme just because
you really want to vectorize this specific low quality dataset.

And if you really, really want to vectorize this specific dataset in way incompatible with existing OSM
tagging then please avoid saving it in OSM database.