[Tagging] Mapping deforestation wikipage

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 22:40:16 UTC 2019

On 14/03/19 06:49, Lorenzo Stucchi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After some discussion about the idea of this project, we think to
> better capt all the idea to create a wiki page with the purpose of
> better understand the problem and find the better way to tag this
> situation.
>
> So we create a wiki page
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PoliMappers/mapping_deforestation where
> is possible to discuss these thematics, let us known your idea.

I think what your trying to map is the reduction of trees over time
(deforestation).

Open Historic Map is the place to map what has happened over time. Here
you can map the presence of trees at a particular point in time from
satellite imagery at that time. This can give you the 'deforestation'
information without trying to map 'here is a lack of trees'.

Open Street Map is the present, not the past. So OSM is not the place to
map the change in tree cover.While some may be happy with mapping an
area with a tag that says 'here is a lack of trees', that lack of trees
does not tell you that the area was covered by trees at some time in the
past. An example would be an area coved by rock, an old village area. I
think what you are after is that change in tree cover, and that is not
mapped in OSM.