[Tagging] Tagging disputed boundaries

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 23:33:54 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:24 PM Phake Nick <c933103 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Come to think of it, if the goal is to represent different perspective of
> disputed territory, then mapping disputed territories as disputed territory
> using claimed_by=* controlled_by=* does not seems like a good idea, as such
> an area in OSM would need to include a line separating the disputed
> territory from the territory it control which a number of countries would
> refuse to recognize. I think it's better to simply map the outer boundary
> of those countries' theoretical border and apply relevant tags describing
> the identify of the area instead.

Agree, a separate relation that outlines a country's border from that
country's perspective would be much easier to use (with an appropriate tag
- e.g. POV=countrycode).  Note that this also applies to sub-country admin
levels too, e.g. Crimea might have a different administrative division
according to UK and RU, which in some cases would be the same as
on-the-ground-truth.