[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - police=*

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 16:47:18 UTC 2019

Le 15.03.19 à 17:16, Jan S a écrit :
> I sense dissent here about the future use of amenity=police. Would it be a possible solution to keep amenity=police for public-facing police stations only,

that's the current meaning.

> but invite mappers on the wiki to nevertheless add police=station, so that in the future the majority of police stations will hopefully also carry the police=station tag?

at the risk of repeating myself, some mappers disapprove of having to
enter the same information twice because of the coexistence of 2 tags
with the same meaning.
you can of course try your luck by submitting this idea grouped with the
rest of your proposal... or you can separate this conflicting idea to
increase the chances of adoption of the main part of your propal,
it's up to you (I'll separate).

anyway, even if it passes, it is unfortunately inevitable that the 2
tags get out of sync and then the meaning gets worse than before:
if a mapper deletes the only-one tag from a police station,
his intention is clear, it's not more a police station.
if a mapper deletes only one of the 2 tags from a police station, has he
done so because the police station is closed (and the other must also be
deleted) or because he wants to delete one of the 2 duplicated schemes?

this "dual-schema" period is really painful, which is why I find it
preferable that it be as short as possible.
in this perspective, I am in favor of first promoting all police=* who
currently do not have a tag and once this scheme is well known/used,
do another operation to try to switch amenity=police to police=station
(and, I repeat, do not underestimate the enormous resistance of some
community members who think (imho wrongly) that frequent tags should be
kept immutable for eternity.)