[Tagging] Wild changes to wiki pages changing the cycleway tagging scheme

Andrew Davidson theswavu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 22:43:29 UTC 2019

On 15/3/19 9:30 pm, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> these tags are stating different things though:

How are they different? If I have a oneway=yes way:

A--->B

oneway:bicycle=no tells me that bicycles can pass along this way A->B
and B->A

exactly the same case if there is any of the tags:
cycleway:[left|right|both|none]:oneway=[-1|no]

They tell me the same thing. The point of this discussion is what the
*preferred* method should be not how many different ways there are to
tag the same piece of information. My point is simply why should mappers
be told to prefer the less used and less likely to be consumed option
rather than the much more common option?

> cycleway:left:oneway=-1 on the other hand is describing a dedicated
> cycling infrastructure

No it doesn't. What infrastructure, if any, is provided for cyclists is
described by the cycleway=* tag. So in this case if that tag is
accompanied by:

cycleway:left=shared

then there is no dedicated cycling infrastructure.