[Tagging] Do we still need cycleway=opposite?

"Christian Müller" cmue81 at gmx.de
Sun Mar 17 12:36:50 UTC 2019

I support discouraging both opposite* values.

Re-using oneway semantics is easy.  oneway is an established
tag with established interpretation - if its meaning is not
reshaped in an obscure way it is reusable in all its namespace
variants with confidence and no frills.

I'm also in favour of a better separation in the documentation
to cycleway related tags.  The doc should make it clear how
and why the concepts differ.  Judging from the mailing list
discussions most people do not seem to get the intention of
the different tagging schemes available, or more loosely even
tend to claim that there is no difference involved at all.

Another lesson learnt, is that a documented list of values
absolutely should be accompanied by a claim of whether that
list is open to additions or not.  For example, some tagging
schemes loose their descriptive power if the set of values
is overloaded with this and that and then whatnot.

Greetings