[Tagging] Mapping deforestation wikipage proposal

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:46:41 UTC 2019

On 18/03/19 21:32, Lorenzo Stucchi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since no more doubts were presented we can think to propose this tag.
>
> Should be better to have 4 different tag proposal one for every
> different landcover, one just one considering that are all connected
> and there are just the key landcover and 4 different value.
>
> Which idea is the best for the proposal?
4 different.

I will be voting against most of it.

In particular

landcover=cultivation.. it is not a land cover but a human activity.
There is an existing OSM tag of landuse=farmland that looks to me to be
what is being mapped.

landcover=barren .. does not say what is there. And the proposal states
3 'equivalent' tags that already inuse and are fairly easy to map. Why
not use them?

landcover=artificial .. does not say what is there.

For the deforestation the above do not contribute to the documentation
of the existence of trees so they have no impact on the deforestation
itself. They may contribute to theorising on the causes of deforestation.
I think these tags are simply to ease the task, to make it easier ...
OSM is not about easier, it is about mapping.