[Tagging] I have been tagging mosques wrong all along

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Mar 23 17:04:43 UTC 2019

Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> writes:

> On 3/23/19 5:28 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> writes:
>>> So, no landuse=religious anymore at all and no building=mosque for the
>> I don't understand why you think landuse=religious shouldn't be
>> present. It seems that all land used for religious purposes should
>> have that tag
>
> Redundancy ? I have the same issue for shop=* (or even amenity=fuel)
> also tagged with landuse=retail - same sort of redundancy.
>
> To me, amenity=place of worship is implicitly landuse=religious and
> shop=* is implicitly landuse=retail... Am I alone in thinking that way?

You are surely not alone :-)

I see having landuse as consistency, so that data consumers
understanding landuse can do so, without having a vast array of implicit
rules.

As for shop/fuel, I prefer shop etc. tags on the individual places, and
landuse=retail on the entire land area that is in use for that sort of
thing (including parking - the whole group of parcels).  That extent of
area cannot be inferred from the other tags.

I find the implicit rules really problematic, as we don't have a
machine-readable repository of them that can be used to processs tags as
they are to the full logical set of what they mean.