[Tagging] Ferry routes as relations?

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 00:34:54 UTC 2019

Hello,

Le 25.03.19 à 00:34, Joseph Eisenberg a écrit :

> Are there people who think it is necessary to map the actual
> over-water path of the ferry with relations, or should the wiki page
> be clarified to recommend that this be tagged as a linear way?

did you mean "don't map route=ferry as relation but only if the way
have the route tag put in a relation for all-except ferry ?"

it seem that some mappers are using relation
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/route=ferry
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Hkz
1569 relation for route=ferry + 239 route_master
osm-carto may of course stop the render of ferry route.
but I don't see the improvement/rational to keep the render with a
way-with-route-tag but not if a relation is used (in this case, way
member of course doesn't duplicate relation tag).
the rational is unclear
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3726#issuecomment-475943580

On 3/24/19, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would
>> not expect or suggest to add buildings and other landbased infrastructure
>> (e.g. waiting areas, ticket offices, customs, ...) to the route.
>> The latter are part of the port, not the route.

So the plateform/waiting area for a route=bus is part of the route
relation but not a plateform/waiting area of a route=ferry ?
I don't see the rational of having differend rules depending
the "vehicule" used.
imho the ferry relation MAY (if someone want to add it) have a role
plateform

Regards,
Marc