[Tagging] shop=plumber vs shop=plumbing vs shop=plumbing_supplies

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Mar 25 15:38:43 UTC 2019

Mar 25, 2019, 4:30 PM by marc.gemis at gmail.com:

> I wonder whether you will ever get the right answers to this type of
> questions on this mailing list.
> Only if people on this list have used those tags themselves or
> interacted with people using the "wrong" tags you might get an idea of
> what is going on.
> Otherwise, it seems to me that we just might guess the correct answer.
>
> The only people that know what they meant with a certain tag (that is
> not documented) are those that used it. But finding the people that
> used to tag and contact them is a daunting task.

And they may not wish to be contacted. I treat mailing list as self delected
group of mappers that is OK with answering questions asked by
strangers.

Also, note that if use of tag is interpreted in a common way by OSM community
then it does not really matter what was intended.

In addition nearly always when I ask "what is the meaning of XYZ" I
have some guess/expectation what is the meaning of it (usually I
mention it) so if there is no response that I am wrong or mistaken
I assume that I was right - in such cases question is basically
a sanity check.