[Tagging] Is there any use of shop=general/general_store not covered by shop=convenience/supermarket/country_store?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:38:39 UTC 2019

On 25/03/2019 15:00, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 14:36, Mateusz Konieczny
> <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> wrote:
>
>     In situations matching your description I think that either
>     shop=supermarket or shop=country_store would fit.
>

> There used to be a shop near me which wouldn't really match
> country_store, convenience,
> variety, or hardware.  It sold a bizarre mix of things. No food
> whatsoever, so not convenience
> or supermarket.  No farm or garden equipment or clothing, so not
> country_store.  Definitely not
> cheap (if anywhere else sold something you wanted this place would be
> more expensive) so
> not really variety.
>
> Like I said, it sold a bizarre mix of things.  Kitchen utensils and
> equipment (but very little
> electrical stuff).  Hardware like letterboxes, letterbox draught
> excluders, wood screws (not a
> wide selection), door bolts.  Dustbins.  Firewood. Brushes and
> brooms.  I rarely went in there
> (after seeing the prices the first time I went in) but there was all
> kinds of other stuff I barely
> remember.  Two local newspapers reporting its closure described it as
> a "hardware and
> household goods" store, but the local pound shop carries a bigger
> range of hardware than it
> did, and neither match up to a proper hardware shop like B&Q (or even
> B&M).
>
> The closest fit would be general, and even that is a very poor fit
> (there were no foodstuffs).  But
> that's the closest match to "household goods and other random stuff."

It's always going to be a case of "picking the least worst value".
Barnitt's in York https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1489262121 is
tagged as shop=doityourself, but that's only a very small part of its
range.  Bunners in Montogomery is similar (see the note on
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/489847395 , and someone's even
written a song about that one -
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/90-bisodol-crimond/descent-of-the-stiperstones/
).

It's certainly possible to do a fair bit of gardening (with a spade from
Barnitt's) in the lower reaches of
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/shop#values where it's really
obvious what someone meant (space instead of underscore, misspellings,
capitals, looking at shop name and brand etc.), but sometimes the "least
worst value" really will be a value that someone might want to "deprecate".

Best Regards,

Andy