[Tagging] Is there any use of shop=general/general_store not covered by shop=convenience/supermarket/country_store?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Mar 25 20:57:43 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 13:57 -0400, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:44 AM Mateusz Konieczny
> <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
> > My conclusion is that this is an old shop type, currently getting
> > rare but there are still some valid uses
> > but many cases would benefit from retagging to more popular shop
> > values
> > (where shop=convenience/supermarket/country_store describes it
> > well).
>
> General stores, while not as common as they once were, still exist in
> the rural communities that I visit - so please don't deprecate the
> tag!
>
> They often function as grocery stores, but also will generally offer
> tools and hardware, clothing, home goods, camping supplies, bait and
> tackle, dry goods, and paper goods - pretty much a little bit of
> everything, albeit with a more limited selection than you'd find at a
> store in a larger town. The wide offering of general merchandise
> distinguishes them from 'supermarket'. The small size and relatively
> limited selection distinguish them from supermarket (also, not all
> general stores sell perishable food). They're a lot more than a
> convenience_store; they're typically the main or only store in the
> village. They're surely not a variety_store, and are often overpriced
> because many nowadays cater to tourists. (The villagers might drive
> the nearest sizable towm to shop.)
Much the same in the UK, as Kevin says please do not depreciate this
tag. It is never going to have the level of usage that city based tags
get.

> A country_store is something I think of as usually being located
> outside a village because they need a lot more space. They'll offer
> feed, seed, fertilizer, garden tools, and similar supplies. They
> often
> have nurseries selling bedding plants and trees for planting.
> (Tractor
> Supply and Agway are common brands in the US.)
Again much the same in the UK, the common big brands being Countrywide
and Wynstay.

They cater for country dwellers, small farms, equine people and sell
animal feeder and feed, gates and the like. Also horse feed and riding,
chicken equipment and pet food in larger packs. Country people have
more dogs.

The exact range will, my local Wynstay caters heavily for South
Cheshire and North Shropshire which are both lands of horse paddocks,
whereas on I visited in Llyn was much more for the local farmers.

These are a particular and important thing and should not be
depreciated or combined with some other type of shop.

Phil (trigpoint)