[Tagging] shop=plumber vs shop=plumbing vs shop=plumbing_supplies

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 23:18:52 UTC 2019

Thanks everyone!

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 21:00, ael via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> I fear confusion if it uses exactly the same tag. But maybe it could work.

Open for any thoughts or suggestions of a better word!

What do you call the place that a tradesman (sorry, ladies!) works out of?
The "place" that he stores his equipment, is his registered trading
address, where his business mail is delivered, that (probably) isn't open
to the general public to come & visit - it could even be his home, *if* he
has a sign out the front to say "Fred Smith, Electrical Contractor"

 Maybe tradesman tradesperson=boatbuilder; builder; electrician?

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 23:46, Lionel Giard <lionel.giard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that there is already the tags "man_made=works" +
> "products=*" for industrial scale production. Like the example of a brewery
> that can be tagged as craft=brewery (when small) or via man_made=works +
> product=beer (when industrial).

That's another one I was thinking of & the same applies to =distillery

> To my understanding, at trade shop can't really be compared to a "craft"
> guy, as the trade shop only sell bulk material (there is no production
> there). :-)

No, I agree it can't.

Maybe we could specify that shop=trade + trade= must include "supply /
supplies" eg shop=trade + trade=plumbing_supplies, for the wholesaler that
carries all the different sizes of pipe, taps & other fittings? ATM,
there's a mixture eg =building_supplies but also =plumbing:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dtrade

That would leave trade=plumber for the shed that they work out of.

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 01:13, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> Around my workplace, the bargaining units use 'craft' and 'trade'
> pretty much interchangeably. A plumber, electrician, millwright,
> draughtsman, machinist, ... might be referred to as either a
> 'craftsman' or 'tradesman'.
>
> I know that 'craft' sometimes carries the small-scale, bespoke-work
> connotation, as in 'hand-crafted' but I'm not too uncomfortable with
> describing carpentry (even framing work), masonry or steamfitting as
> 'crafts'.

I understand what you're saying, Kevin, & to a certain extent agree with
you, although I think there are still fine lines - a carpenter is
definitely a tradie, a cabinet maker could be a tradie if they just
assemble flat-packs, but a craftsman if they do fine, precision work, while
a woodturner is a craftsman.

Thanks

Graeme