[Tagging] Bus rapid transit: service=bus vs service=busway vs no service tag

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 18:25:38 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 8:32 AM Mateusz Konieczny
<matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
> service=busway/bus seems OK to me (note, I am not a native speaker),
> but I am not convinced that it would be very useful.

Perhaps we should recommend service=bus because it is already
documented and more common, service=busway is neither documented nor
as common.

> I would just set appropriate access tags.
>
> I found also
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/368500255#map=19/50.04798/19.92933
> with
>
> bus:lanes:backward  = designated
> bus:lanes:forward = designated
> psv:lanes:backward = designated
> psv:lanes:forward = designated
>
> I am not sure is it an optimal lane tagging, but in general lane tagging may be
> useful here, maybe more than a new service tag (or in addition to).

I'm not sure. These bus rapid transit systems are segregated tracks
that only contain bus lanes, with no public lanes (so no cars, no
trucks, and no motorcycles). They typically run parallel to the public
tracks. In some cities, taxis are allowed, and sometimes this changes
over time as city law changes, but still no public traffic.

--
Fernando Trebien