[Tagging] Bus rapid transit: service=bus vs service=busway vs no service tag

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 12:38:38 UTC 2019

There haven't been many non-European respondents on this thread, so I
sampled some major European cities for usages of service=bus and
service=busway. Since BRT systems are more common in France [1] and
the UK[ 2], I went a bit deeper on those countries, if you know any

I think we should recommend service=bus for the segregated tracks as
well as in bus stations, and recommend switching service=busway to
service=bus.

Here's what I've found on segregated psv-only tracks:

London: lots of service=bus at bus stations, a few service=busway.
Notable exceptions:
- service=busway at a station: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4796349
- service=bus at a junction: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/199662045
- service=bus on short way: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/312242608

Leeds: only one service=bus at stop: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240095844

Paris: only one service=bus at stop: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/52114818

Marseille: several in different places
- service=busway on long way: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/508860737
- service=bus on long way in city centre:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4520540
- service=bus on non-service way: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/385606208

Lyon:
- service=bus on long way: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/324802112
- service=bus on long way: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/494370409

Amsterdam: few, the most notable is a service=bus on long way:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/326594020

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bus_rapid_transit_systems
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guided_busways_and_BRT_systems_in_the_United_Kingdom

--