[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Runway Holding Positions

Steven Estes tapestes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 20:02:26 UTC 2019

Tackle this a bit on the proposal page, which notes that holding_position
as currently formulated has two limitations. First, it's  fairly broad.  It
includes runway holding position markings, ILS critical holding position
markings, and interim holding position markings.  Each of these markings is
used in a different way, and if I were to pull OSM data into a flight
simulation environment, the lack of distinction would be a huge problem.
Second, it's defined as a node rather than a way, but to be useful, the
full hold line (holding position marking) needs to annotated as it can't be
assumed that the line is either straight or perpendicular to the taxiway
centerline.  If the second issue were the only problem, I'd be inclined to
just modify the existing tag to include ways (which appears to be used in
20% of all cases anyway).  But, if I change the tag to apply only to runway
holding position markings, I imagine that would create all sorts of
downstream problems.