[Tagging] RFC - Feature Proposal - area of steps for pedestrians. -Tags on the ways

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 22:59:17 UTC 2019

> Am Fr., 29. März 2019 um 08:28 Uhr schrieb Warin
> <61sundowner at gmail.com <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>

>     should the upper and lower ways be tagged with highway=footway so
>     as to connect the two laterals?
>     should the laterals be tagged with highway=steps
>     That may aid editing, rendering and routing...
>

> it would be in the tradition of pedestrian routing around the squares,
> now also around steps ;-)
> Seriously, I would not tag any of these with highway=steps, I would
> rather draw another way for the routing, in the middle of the laterals
> (actually the laterals may often not be needed at all, if they are
> just straight lines between the upper and lower start and endpoints.
> They might be needed for topology reasons if you want to connect other
> things explicitly, e.g. retaining walls, buildings, etc.).

The laterals would be required for handrails, differing number of steps
from side to side.

Adding tags on the ways does several things;
provides present routing on any connection to any outer way - including
the laterals
present rendering of the out side area
stops validators and quality tools complaining about the ways.
shows the shape of the area. While most are rectangular some are not.

By making a system that maps all occurrences in the same way there are
no edge cases that have to have specials.

The relation will still draw attention, but that is only one
warning/error rather than 5.