[Tagging] free_standing_emergency_department, amenity or clinic ?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 22:16:28 UTC 2019

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 06:44, Nita Rae Sanders <cosmicrae at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am envisioning something where all ED's will be designated as such, even
> those embedded within the hospital.
> It is an attempt to provide a common tagging system, exactly for the
> purpose you point out … saving lives.

I totally agree with you that the entrance to the ED should be
distinguished from the "normal" hospital.

A couple of them in our area have been tagged like this:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5045644127#map=17/-28.07073/153.37681
by re-using the =hospital tag & naming it "Emergency" which does work, but
isn't ideal.

I am open to other schemes to distinguish between free_standing and
> embedded, something which allows
> for an ED to be tagged as an ED.

I must admit I still like the idea of putting the ED under the emergency=
key, rather than healthcare=, - healthcare suggests normal day-to-day,
going to the doctor, but emergency is, well, for emergencies! :-)

> To be even more succinct, Shand's (in Gainesville) has an embedded ED, and
> embedded ED for pediatrics, and
> two free_standing ED units.

& that should work with 4 x A-E shown, with this one named "Pediatric"

Incidentally, with regard to names, Wiki:

*"Emergency department* became commonly used when emergency medicine
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_medicine> was recognised as a
medical specialty, and hospitals and medical centres developed departments
of emergency medicine to provide services. Other common variations include
'emergency ward,' 'emergency centre' or 'emergency unit'.

'Accident and Emergency' or 'A&E' is still the accepted term in the United
Kingdom,[5] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_department#cite_note-5>
 some Commonwealth <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations>
 countries,[*citation needed
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>*] and the
Republic of Ireland, as are earlier terms such as 'Casualty' or 'casualty
ward', which continue to be used informally. The same applies to 'emergency
room' or 'ER' in North America, originating when emergency facilities were
provided in a single room of the hospital by the department of surgery."

Thanks
Graeme