[Tagging] Whispering asphalt

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri May 3 09:31:39 UTC 2019

2 May 2019, 21:55 by amilopowers at u-cloud.ch:

> surface=whispering_asphalt or surface=silent_asphalt

Please avoid fragmenting surface tag.

> Then I found on Overpass-Turbo someone that tagged "asphalt:type=porous".

Something like that would be preferable if it is mappable.

In general, introducing new values for established tags to tag some
property should be avoided.

For example I believe that

natural=tree + leaf_cycle=evergreen
or
shop=greengrocer+ street_vendor=yes [1]

is preferable over

natural=evergreen_tree
or
shop=greengrocer_street_vendor [1]

Using properties allows both to tag detail and to avoid breaking data users
that were created before more detailed tagging started.

[1] I assume here that street vendor is mappable -
appearing regularly at the same place for a long time