[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC (etc) for crossing:signals

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 8 08:30:10 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 8. May 2019, at 00:54, Nick Bolten <nbolten at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This proposal does not deprecate crossing=uncontrolled.
>
> For the latter: why not? The tag is, in technical terms, garbage, and other tags in relatively high use have been deprecated before.

I would support the deprecation of „uncontrolled“, as it is a misnomer. Road markings like zebra markings are a kind of control, and even more, zebra crossings may require additional vertical signage in certain circumstances.

Thinking about traffic control, we seem to miss a value for control by policemen. I could speculate there may be several reasons, for one these areas will likely have such slow traffic in general that the kind of crossing control doesn’t seem interesting to the mappers, there may be few on the ground mappers in the area, and no established method how to do it yet.

Around here there is a kind of mix, some traffic light controlled major crossings have a police booth nearby, where sometimes there are policemen observing or controlling the traffic on the crossing.
E.g. https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=41.887073999999984&lng=12.503893000000062&z=17.57282613084294&pKey=n1J7gYYmL5B9Ejx-RzdXeg&focus=photo&menu=false&x=0.6181064937229852&y=0.48021931447092797&zoom=0

There are many of these, but only a few are frequently staffed.

Cheers, Martin