[Tagging] Feature Proposal - crossing=marked

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Thu May 9 15:33:10 UTC 2019

> I suggest that you read the discussion I started in December
about crossing=zebra because it is the main cause of the current situation.

I read it back in December, but I disagree. The cause of the situation is
the huge problems with the crossing=* values for marked crossings. That
problem also caused the iD editor to use its zebra and now marked presets.

> Bryan replaced crossing=zebra with crossing=marked in iD but as the
crossing=zebra problems were not understood, the alternative has exactly
the same problems as the replaced solution.

Such as...?

> the crossing key is however simple to use except for badly chosen values
does the passage have a fire? crossing=traffic_signals otherwise, does the
passage have a marking on the ground?  crossing=uncontrolled (the work is
not perfect because a marking a kind of controll) otherwise
crossing=unmarked

I don't understand what you're saying here (fire?), but would be interested
in knowing what you mean. Could you please rephrase?

> Last year, I have review ~1k crossing=zebra, the fragmentation is mainly
due to iD

I'd expect quite a few tags to come from iD, as it's the default editor on
openstreetmap.org, of course. I'm curious about your methodology, since I
don't remember seeing this in that December thread. How did you sample?
What were the results?

> for now, the "new" iD preset destroys perfectly valid data at a
frightening rate! if someone modifies a pedestrian crossing with a light,
iD replaces it
with crossing=marked, which disrupts the information of the presence of the
light.

This is not relevant to my proposal. Please keep unrelated gripes regarding
editors to another thread.

> There is already a tag for the reference of a crossing.

I'm aware. Please read my proposal, where I explicitly discuss this.

> a bad preset is not a good usage

Please explain why it's a bad preset.

Best,

Nick