[Tagging] Feature Proposal - crossing=marked

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Thu May 9 22:29:06 UTC 2019

> I have checked out your proposal...and I don't know what is the
difference with a crossing=marked (yours) and a crossing=uncontrolled (in
OSM)

crossing=marked indicates that a crossing has markings. That's it: the
"type" of crossing is declared to be whether it has markings on the ground
or not.

crossing=uncontrolled has very unclear meanings. You can see from this and
the thread about crossing:signals=* that there are at least 4 different
definitions used by veteran-ish OSM mappers, despite most of them saying
"of course it means my version". To expound, there are multiple ways in
which "uncontrolled" has problems in terms of understanding meaning:

(1) The term "uncontrolled" is a transit nerd term. Almost nobody uses this
word outside of a select few circles. New mappers have no idea what it
means (though veteran mappers also seem to disagree with one another) and
make an *incorrect* guess, assuming it means the same as unmarked.

(2)  the crossing tag, as currently documented, has values that imply
meanings regarding right-of-way, markings on the ground, and
pedestrian/traffic signals (it's hard to tell what the latter even means,
honestly, which is why I have that proposal). That's three totally
different categories that are meant to be summed up in one tag value and
the current values don't even cover the full combination. "uncontrolled"
does not actually say anything about right-of-way, per the OpenStreetMap
wiki.

(3) However, the real-world meaning of "uncontrolled" is entirely about
right-of-way based on "controls" for street traffic. Essentially, it's the
polar opposite of the OpenStreetMap usage. Anyone who attempts to look up
the term "uncontrolled" outside of the OpenStreetMap will come away with
the exact wrong meaning and map the data incorrectly.

> I don't agree with you. I think you are forgotten all the other items to
tag and the others tagging schemes in OSM. Kerbs are not for cars,
cycleways are not for cars. And there are other traffic lights rather than
car traffic lights.

I don't think I understand what you mean by this. Could you please rephrase?

> It is not true. There is a wiki and also a iD which can help to
undesrtand the tagging scheme and making easier to tag that crossing.

The iD editor never uses crossing=uncontrolled. It actually uses
crossing=marked now. It is at odds with the wiki, and what the wiki says is
very different from what many people on this mailing list say
crossing=uncontrolled means.

> What is the proposal: translate crossing=uncontrolled to crossing=marked?

Only after robust discussion with local communities and with their
approval. I am not recommending any automated edits whatsoever as part of
this proposal, only suggesting that it might be possible in limited
regions, with community assent (and following all of the other protocols
regarding machine edits). I anticipate that many US-based communities would
be open to converting crossing=uncontrolled and crossing=zebra to
crossing=marked, at a minimum, given how frequently they've been edited
with iD.

I split this message in two because it was too long - I'm sending another
reply shortly.