[Tagging] Misuse of name tag for route description

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 21:07:11 UTC 2019

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 21:26, Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:

> What kind of name are displayed on these buses? Around here, buses,
> trains etc. usually only display the route number (or route type) and
> their destination (e.g. "701 Le Prese Stazione", "201 Villeneuve", "IR
> Chur" or "IC 3 Basel SBB"). Route names (e.g. "Bernina Express",
> "MetropolitanLine" or "Marunouchi Line") seem to be quite rare.

Usually destination.  Except for the Cardigan Town Service.  But with PTV2
routes split into
two (or more relations), one for each direction, this isn't a problem.  The
bus from Cardigan
to Aberystwyth says "Aberystwyth" and the bus from Aberystwyth to Cardigan
says "Cardigan."
Elsewhere I've lived the bus might say XXX to YYY via ZZZ.

I like the idea that the name of the bus, as shown on the map, is the same
as the name of the
bus, as shown on the bus.  It means I can look at the map and know what to
look for on an
approaching bus.  Not having the two correspond is unhelpful, if not
downright perverse.

Route number alone is insufficient.  Not when there can be variant routes.

Of course, that all presumes the bus company is sane and rational.  Unlike
my local bus
company.  The 408 is a merger of the 406 Cardigan Town Service and the 407
Cardigan to
St Dogmaels routes.  It displays "Cardigan Town Service and St Dogmaels"
for most of its
route around Cardigan.   Then displays "Cardigan Town Service" as it sets
off for St Dogmaels.
Except when it's on a variant school run, when the drivers decide to call
it the 405, although it
isn't, because they think 405 means school service (it doesn't).  The 405
is a school service
between a particular part of Cardigan and the primary school.  WIth what
should be the 408
parked next to it, you have to ask the driver if it's the real 405 or the
fake 405.

--
Paul