[Tagging] Tag for Cornices?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat May 11 12:59:34 UTC 2019

Another user asked about a tag for a snow cornice, a cliff-like or
overhanging snow and ice feature that often forms along a ridge in
winter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_cornice

"There doesn't appear to be a way to tag cornices, which are
essentially naturally ocurring seasonal snow cliffs. Cornices are
major obstacles to backcountry skiing, snowshoeing and mountaineering.
Where I live in British Columbia they almost always form in the same
place every year due to the consistency of the prevailing wind. Can I
just tag natural=cliff + seasonal=winter? ScottNelson (talk) 07:37, 11
May 2019"

I don't think these features are a type of cliff, since they are often
seasonal and can shift position, being largely made of snow and
affected by the wind direction.

Should they get their own, tag, e.g. natural=cornice?