[Tagging] Misuse of name tag for route description

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sun May 12 07:26:02 UTC 2019

On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 00:19, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so I tested and I renamed one of the many bus routes I'm maintaining, moved from name to description. And you know what: both JOSM and the web interface now show the ref instead of the description, so until that gets resolved there is not very much chance people will want to move from the name tag to the description tag.

I know, this is why i misued the name tag, too. I mentioned that in my
previous emails. [1][2]

[1]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-May/045180.html
[2]: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-May/045186.html

I'll file enhancement requests to the editors as soon as we find a
consensus. Currently, it seems that for hiking routes, using the
description tag instead of the name tag for route descriptions is
undispued, but, oddly, for public transportation routes it is not.

Regards

Markus