[Tagging] Misuse of name tag for route description

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 11:52:59 UTC 2019

On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 10:21, Tony Shield <tony.shield999 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To me what is emerging is that there is no formal or official name for
> many of the things we are trying to map.

And there are different interpretations of the rules.  For some, "rules is
rules."   For
others, we see rules as a means to an end (making a useful map).  So there
is one
camp that says "You can't do that, it's against the rules."  And another
camp that
says "The rules are sub-optimal and need to be changed."

As I pointed out earlier, there are many names of objects I've mapped that
look like
descriptions.  Because that's how they started out in the distant past.
It's only
in more recent times that people generally used arbitrary (and often
whimsical)
labels for things like house names.

There is a good reason for not using a description for a name.  We'd end up
with many
buildings named "Shed," "Barn," "Dog Kennel," "House," and even
"Building."  Not useful:
it clutters the map and makes it hard to find objects that actually have
names (like house
names).  But an overly-strict interpretation of the rules leads people to
complain about
actual names that just happen to look like descriptions, or are even
identical to
descriptions.

If OSM puts a name against a route it is the idea of the individual
> mapper possibly in agreement with others. If a guidebook has a named
> walking route which is a different name to that in a different guidebook
> (but an identical route)- which is correct? Should OSM give it a 3rd name?

That's a problem.  You can use alt_name so that all the names show up in a
search.  Some
mappers might name it "Womble Walk / Wimbledon Walk" or something like that.

For the T5 bus, is that going to Aberteifi or Cardigan

It's the same place.  Cardigan is the English name; Aberteifi is the Welsh
name. The only
other one like that on that timetable is New Quay / Cei Newydd.  However,
that timetable is
on the Ceredigion County Council website and covers only the portion of the
route that is
in Ceredigion.  There are a lot more like that on the full timetable:
https://www.richardsbros.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/T5-October-2018.pdf

What's not clear on that other timetable is that it's not a through service
all the way: to get
from Aberystwyth to Haverfordwest you get off the T5 at Cardigan (or
Aberteifi if you're Welsh)
and get on another T5 to complete the journey.  There are really two T5s,
one does
Cardigan-Aberystwyth-Cardigan and the other Cardigan-Haverford
West-Cardigan.  Which
is another reason why route number alone is inadequate and it is vital to
look at the
headsign on the bus.

--
Paul