[Tagging] Feature Proposal - crossing=marked

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Mon May 13 13:20:02 UTC 2019

> 1. Combined foot/cycle crossing - a side path from a combined
> foot/cycleway onto a very lightly trafficked suburban street. Marked
> with signs bearing the silhouette of a bicycle about 50 m in advance
> of the crossing. No markings on the pavement. (This crossing is part
> of my daily commute. The street that it crosses is quite busy, and
> the sign with the bicycle silhouette has no apparent effect on the
> drivers. Pedestrians divide into the quick and the dead.)

On the intersection node between footway and road way:
highway=crossing
crossing=unmarked

You may tag the traffic_sign (here and in other cases) separately, how to do that is topic all it's own.

> 2. Combined foot/cycle crossing - a combined foot/cycleway crossing
> a busy two-lane street at grade. Signage both ~50 m in advance and
> at the crossing. Flashing yellow lights (meaning 'proceed with
> caution') flank the sign at the crossing. The lights can by turned
> on by a pedestrian or cyclist pushing a button. Zebra-stripe
> pavement markings.

On the intersection node between footway and road way:
highway=crossing
crossing=uncontrolled (or crossing=zebra)

You may tag the traffic_sign separately

> 3. Zebra-stripe pavement markings at an intersection controlled by a
> 4-way STOP sign.

On the intersection node between footway and roadway:
highway=crossing
crossing=uncontrolled (or crossing=zebra)

On a separate node on the road way placed at the stop line:
highway=stop (This tag is a big ugly like that, because it depends on consumers figuring out in what direction it applies based on proximity to the intersection, but again, that's a topic all it's own.)

(And additionally, given that this is specifically an all way stop, on the intersection node of the two road ways:
highway=stop
stop=all

> 4. Zebra-stripe pavement markings at an intersection controlled by a
> traffic light, with no 'WAIT/WALK' pedestrian signals.

On the intersection node between footway and road way:
highway=crossing
crossing=uncontrolled (or crossing=zebra)

Either on the intersection node of the two road ways, or if dual carriage, on separate nodes on the road ways placed at the stop line (coming into the junction):
highway=traffic_signals

> 5. Zebra-stripe pavement markings at an intersection controlled by a
> traffic light, with 'WAIT/WALK' pedestrian signals, and a countdown
> timer giving the seconds remaining to cross.

On the intersection node between footway and road way:
highway=crossing
crossing=traffic_signals

Either on the intersection node of the two road ways, or if dual carriage, on separate nodes on the road ways placed at the stop line (coming into the junction):
highway=traffic_signals

> 6. The same, with the pedestrian or cyclist requesting the WALK
> signal by pressing a button.

On the intersection node between footway and road way:
highway=crossing
crossing=traffic_signals

If the pedestrians HAVE to push the button to get a WALK (not just "can push, which may make it faster or just be a placebo [more common than you think]"), also:
button_operated=yes

Either on the intersection node of the two road ways, or if dual carriage, or if dual carriage, on separate nodes on the road ways placed at the stop line (coming into the junction):
highway=traffic_signals

> 7. Zebra-stripe pavement markings, together with a sign displaying
> the silhouette of school children, in the middle of a block in front
> of a school. This crossing may be supervised during school
> arrival/departure times.

on the intersection node between footway and roadway:
highway=crossing
crossing=uncontrolled (or crossing=zebra)

maybe:
supervised=(valid time expression)

> 8. Zebra-stripe pedestrian markings delineating the preferred
> footpath in a parking field, and running generally perpendicular to
> the parking aisles.

If there is no intersecting node between this way and a road way, then this is not a crossing, it's just a footway that happens to be marked using zebra stripe pattern.

If there IS an actual intersection between this way and a roadway, then the same as any other such crossing, on the intersection node between footway and road way:
highway=crossing
crossing=uncontrolled (or crossing=zebra)

> And I'm now in confusion about how to tag any of them.

For all of these, if you want to go down into micromapping territory, in addition to the above:
2 nodes on the footway, where the footway crosses the kerb on either side of the street with:
barrier=kerb
kerb=lowered (if it is, other values otherwise obviously)
(if the kerb itself is mapped as a way, then these two nodes are the intersection nodes between the footway and the kerb way)

and the part of the footway between the two kerb nodes (with the highway=crossing node being between them along this way), split at the kerb nodes and tagged as:
highway=footway
footway=crossing
crossing=(whatever it is)