[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - changing table

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 20 11:21:57 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 20. Mai 2019 um 12:36 Uhr schrieb Valor Naram <valinora at gmx.net>:

> > [...] so if you intend to replace this, yours would likely become a
> property (only) as well
> Ok. Does it matter? From what I understood so far most wiki pages describe
> `properties` e.g.: Key `highway`

the difference of a feature and a property is that a property cannot be
tagged alone, it requires a feature (e.g. "surface", or "oneway", or
"height"). On the other hand, a feature is defining a "thing", e.g. a
highway defined through the tag "highway". It is not a property, but a
feature (and the values are different "classes" of this feature).

OSM does actually not explicitly make this distinction (AFAIK), but it is
implicit in how people are using the tags.

Cheers,
Martin